Friday, July 8, 2011

Wisconsin Climbing

Today I climbed in my home state! Turns out Wisconsin has some decent basalt bluffs on the St. Croix River (the MN/WI geographical boundary). After some guidebook homework I was able to locate a few nice traditional cracks in the shade that overlooked the river. I really got into the whole toprope solo thang today and did laps on short stuff with the ipod hooked up. Just in case I'm not enough of a spectacle already I decided to sing along too. Shade was essential today as it was 94 degrees. Yup. Two of the cracks ropesoloed today were called Yosemite and Sentinel which I thought was cute as they were both about 40 feet tall. I tried really hard to stick to the suggested no chalk ethic of the area, but alas, it was 94 degrees so I settled for a 'no chalk on toprope solo' ethic, which I thought was pretty generous. Starting to miss some of my SC homies now and am looking forward to moving back Westward and out of the flatlands following a short trip to the Milwaukee area to see some family.

1 comment:

  1. Next Time. You & Me! http://www.climbing.com/exclusive/features/lake_effect/

    ReplyDelete